Position description –
- No weapons are permitted on the job.
- Maintain a presence to preserve order and protect property. Monitor and authorize entrance and departure of employees, visitors, and other persons to guard against theft and maintain security of the premises.
- Respond to hospital staff requests for assistance with client interventions. Perform low-level interventions and approved physical intervention techniques, if necessary. Maintain safety throughout the hospital by responding to psychiatric emergencies and non-emergency situations.
- The nature of the role requires the employee to interface with agitated patients. Employees must determine the appropriate intervention for the situation and utilize the least restrictive intervention while ensuring patient and staff safety as per CMHIFL policy, procedure, protocol, and training.
- Answer alarms and investigate disturbances.
- Provide hospital security and enforcement by patrol and observation designed to detect, prevent and control security incidents at CMHIFL. Investigate and document reports of criminal activity.
- Provide traffic surveillance and parking control. Evaluates institutional security risk on a daily basis and notifies appropriate departments/managers of findings.
- Write reports of daily activities and irregularities such as equipment or property damage, theft, presence of unauthorized persons or unusual occurrences.
- Maintain hospital safety via routine physical checks.
- Perform monthly safety inspections of clinical units.
- Identify security violations and safety hazards and take necessary actions to correct the problem (i.e. initiation of work orders, contact DFM personnel, reporting to appropriate person, etc.)
- Perform monthly fire drills and evaluate staff to insure efficient training.
- Security Officer recommends changes in the Life Safety, Security and HazMat programs at the institute.
- Call police or fire departments in cases of emergencies such as fire or presence of unauthorized persons.
- Provide coverage at switchboard as needed for safe hospital operations and emergency management support to include answering phone calls, dispatching emergency safety response.
First aid training and certificate are preferred .
Contract employees will be trained in the following if entering without certification:
• American Heart Association CPR
• Crisis Management Training from CPI
• VDI=Verbal De=escalation and Influence
• Others as required.
Selection depends on successful completion of background check (including drug test) and preemployment physical as required by the agency.