Media Specialist III
Job Title- Bilingual EPI Communicator & Outreach Team Member
Duration - 6 months+
Hours per week - 40 hours
Shift Hours- 9 AM - 5 PM with some flexibility
Job description -
- Bilingual, bicultural professional, with ability to interpret, translate, and trans-create (adapting a message, maintaining style, tone, and content and intent as it would be written in their language) documents, press releases and website materials.
- Review translation information on the Virginia Department of Health website for cultural and linguistic accuracy and clear meaning for targeted segment of population.
- Work with VDH subject matter experts (SMEs) to understand technical content so that information can be accurately conveyed in media interviews.
- Give interviews to the press in Spanish or English (virtual for now).
- Provide outreach assistance to Health Equity Work Group, the Joint Information Center, Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, and the VDH Office of Health Equity for Latinx communities.
- Service as primary point of contact for all Latinx media and outreach partnerships
- Fluent Spanish speaker, with experience translating/transcreating health related information (Fluency in speaking/translating/trans-creating in Spanish).
- Strong familiarity with public health, science, data management, and medical terminology.
- Proficiency using Microsoft and Google office suite.
- Proficiency using Gmail.
- Ability to be detail-oriented, work independently, collaboratively, and in a fast-paced environment. ? Ability to learn quickly and respond well to feedback.
- Strong writing and copy-editing skills in Spanish.
- Undergraduate degree in science, education or mathematics (epidemiology, biology, data management, data science, statistics, etc.)
- Experience working with health departments and NGOs targeting minority populations
- Preference for individuals who can speak multiple languages
American Translators Association (ATA) certification and ideally they'd be located in DC or VA
- 100% Telework
- Access to reliable internet
- Requires individual to have a personal computer
- Must be reachable by phone