Systems Administrators are responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of system COTS, application software and related infrastructure. This individual will ensure that system COTS, operating systems, software systems, application software and related procedures adhere to EED and NASA standards and policies.
Systems Administrators participate in all phases of system development and deployment. These activities include technical analysis and design as well as support of development and operations staff in testing and deploying the system to operational environment. Participation also involves the transition of software from development to production by performing deployment activities within the project life-cycle.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
* Install new / rebuild existing physical and virtual servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements
* Develop and maintain installation, configuration and security procedures.
* Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, monitor Nagios and update monitors as needed.
* Perform daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up. Verify completion of scheduled backup jobs to local storage and replication to remote storage.
* Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted end user communities.
* Apply OS/application patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities. Configure / add new services as necessary.
* Perform ongoing performance, system and application tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required.
* Monitor virtual computing environment, servers, virtual machines, data stores, networks. Perform application and firmware updates as required.
The position requires a favorable adjudication of National Agency Check with Inquires (NACI).
* Must have a minimum of 4+ years of experience as a Linux system administrator (Red Hat or CentOS Linux 6 or 7)
* Must have experience automating tasks using scripting languages (e.g., shell, Perl, Python)
* Must have knowledge of core system and security applications and protocols such as basic TCP/IP, DNS, NTP, NIS/NFS, LDAP.
* Must have knowledge of Web service platforms such as Apache, iPlanet, Tomcat, Ruby on Rails
* Must have knowledge of storage volume management, storage area networks, and filesystems.
* Must have experience with network backup software. EMC Networker is preferred.
* Must have proven understanding of high availability, data/system replication, and disaster recovery methodologies in the system and database spaces.
* Must have knowledge of VMWare virtualization.
* Must have fundamental understanding and working skills in analyzing and correcting application and network anomalies.
* Candidate must possess an active public trust clearance or the ability to pass a National Agency Clearance with Inquiries (NACI) screening.
Additional Job Details:Desired Skills: * Certification in Red Hat Enterprise (RHCE), Oracle Enterprise Linux (Linux Administrator OCA), or Linux Foundation Linux Certification (LFCE). RHCE is preferred. * Experience with Postgres and/or MySQL * Network administration experience * Experience with establishing and supporting operational systems using AWS Management Console and Services * Experience with automation frameworks such as Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Salt * Experience supporting software development teams, tools, and processes * Experience with Agile development methodologies and the Atlassian tool Suite (JIRA, Confluence, Bamboo)