An application administrator installs, updates, optimizes, debugs and otherwise maintains computer applications. In some cases, this applies to applications been licensed from a third party vendor or developed internally.
Phases of administering an application include; working with the vendor before installation, the installation process itself, importing data into the application, handling upgrades, working with application users to address problems, updating permissions and roles, scheduling backups, automating tasks, and retiring applications.
Skills and Areas of Expertise
The list of potential skills that an Application Administrator might be required to have can be long and diverse.
Demonstrated soft skills required for the presentation of ideas and concepts to stakeholders such as vendors, end users and senior management.
* Excellent verbal, written, communication, presentation and negotiations skills
* Ability to effectively interface with technical and nontechnical staff at all organizational levels
* Strong customer service approach
* Ability to collaborate and work well with others
* Ability to engage vendor support on technical and functional issues
* Ability to escalate issues properly and in a timely fashion
Job Functions / Responsibilities
* Installation of vendor applications (coordination will required IT resources)
* Build Deployment
o Support and perform code deployments and configuration changes at the system level, including code review and test coordination
o Includes application updates such as upgrades, patches, and new releases.
o Preparing build files for deployment
o Writing and building deployment scripts
o Setting up working directories
* System Maintenance
o Execute Daily/Weekly Maintenance Plan
o Perform Windchill Maintenance tasks (WinDU, WinRU, revaulting, etc.)
o Maintain vault space
o CAD Workers Administration
o Log and temp file cleanup and rotation
o Remote File Server setup and maintenance
o Review ServerManager, MethodServer and other logs for issues
o PTC System Monitor administration, monitoring and reporting
* Working Defects
o Develops test plans for new or modified programs
o Tests, debugs, implements, and documents fixes
o Performs issue resolution and root cause analysis
* Environment planning (monitor CPU, RAM, and disk space growth and plan for expansion or clean-up)
* Coordinate environment resources and schedules for development, test, certification and production activities
* Maintain system administration documentation
* This position includes on-call critical support as well as working with tier 1 and 2 analysts and application users to provide support.
Qualifications & Skills
* 2 - 5 years related on Windchill Administration
* Developing applications in JAVA a plus
* Experience in UNIX and Windows Operating Systems
* Experience with UNIX and Ant Scripting
* Experience with Engineering concepts and programs (Windchill PDMLink 10.0, CREO Parametric 2.0+) desirable
* Knowledge of SQL and XML
* Available to support off-shift system administration support
* Effective communication and problem-solving skills
* Ability to work effectively in a team environment, customer support environment and with all levels of the organization